Planning to retire in Richmond, Virginia? Richmond is one of the best cities for retirees thanks to its high quality of life, beautiful scenery, and bounty of cultural attractions and entertainment. When you’re ready, the Richmond senior movers are here to help! 55+ communities in Richmond, VA allow you to enjoy everything the city has to offer with amenities that support a convenient and exciting retirement lifestyle. Here are some of the best 55 and older communities in Richmond to consider, whether you’re looking for affordable senior living or resort-style amenities.
Table of Contents
What Is a 55+ Community?
55 plus communities are sometimes called retirement communities or active adult communities. Designed for active adults, many communities have age restrictions that only allow older adults to rent or buy in the community.
Over 55 communities in Richmond come in many varieties from apartment buildings and Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) to new home subdivisions with single-family homes.
Benefits of Living in a 55 Plus Community in Richmond
Retirement communities in Richmond, VA offer many benefits for active adults looking for a fun retirement lifestyle. Here are just some of the perks:
- Maintenance-free retirement living
- Sense of community where you can get to know neighbors or other residents
- Amenities like prepared meals and housekeeping that let you spend more time doing what you love
- Scheduled activities, outings, and classes help you explore interests, socialize, and stay active
- On-site amenities let you relax, stay healthy, and enjoy a fulfilling lifestyle without leaving home
- Communities are usually near attractions, restaurants, shopping, and medical facilities
The Barrington at Hioaks | One of the Highest Rated 55+ Communities in Richmond, VA
Looking for age restricted communities near me that are pet friendly? You’ll love living at The Barrington at Hioaks! The community isn’t just pet-friendly; they offer pet concierge services such as dog walking, pet feeding, and pet bathing.
The community is located on 12 acres with landscaped grounds, individual gardening areas, walking paths, and bocce courts. Residents enjoy a range of amenities including RUI University classes, LUXE Unlimited salon services, housekeeping, and a comprehensive life enrichment program!
- Amenities: Pet concierge services, on-site therapy, spa and salon services, enrichment calendar of activities, individual gardening areas, 24/7 on-site nursing staff & housekeeping
- Housing options: Studio, one, and two bedroom apartments
- The Barrington at Hioaks, 350 Hioaks Rd, Richmond, VA 23225
View this post on Instagram
Avery Point | One of the Best Senior Living Communities in Richmond, VA for Active Adults
Avery Point offers maintenance-free living in one of the top-rated 55 plus communities in Richmond, VA. They offer 10 floor plans to choose from with 1 and 2-bedroom apartments. You will pay a one-time entrance deposit ($224,000 to $489,000) with an 80% refundable deposit or nonrefundable deposit option. There’s also a monthly fee that covers amenities, utilities, and more.
Avery Point offers a huge array of amenities that deliver the exciting retirement lifestyle you’re looking for. The community offers a fitness center, swimming pool, bocce court, library, classrooms, and scheduled social and recreational activities. You can click here for their (long list of clubs and activities to enjoy!
- Amenities: Continuum of care, swimming pool, fitness club, library, social clubs, education clubs, arts and crafts, music clubs, wellness activities
- Housing options: Maintenance free apartments with active adult independent living & continuum of care
- Avery Point, 12000 Avery Point Way, Richmond, VA 23233
Acclaim at Carriage Hill Apartments | Richmond 55+ Active Adult Community with Resort-Style Pool and Sundeck
Acclaim at Carriage Hill Apartments is an award-winning BH Management Services community that has earned recognition for its high resident satisfaction.
Acclaim at Carriage Hill Apartments is perfect for seniors who are looking for over 55 communities in Richmond with great amenities and fun social activities. From hot chocolate bars and Pizza & Pints night to Muffins & Mimosas brunch, outings to holiday performances, and movie nights, there’s always something fun happening.
You’ll also enjoy a pet-friendly community with a Bark Park and a beautiful sundeck with a resort-style pool for soaking up the sun. Relax at the serenity garden and koi pond or socialize with friends at the grill pavilion.
- Amenities: Lifestyle Community Center, planned resident activities, Bark Park for pets, sundeck and pool, exercise classes
- Housing options: One, two, and three bedroom senior apartments
- Acclaim at Carriage Hill Apartments, 7050 Coachman Ln, Richmond, VA 23228
Darby House | Richmond, VA Senior Apartments for Ages 62+
Darby House is an age-restricted apartment building and one of the most affordable 55+ communities in Richmond, VA. The community is just two miles outside downtown Richmond in a quiet, suburban setting. Residents enjoy a strong sense of community with convenient amenities that let you live an active retirement lifestyle to the fullest.
Darby House offers an on-site hair salon, library, outdoor patio, and fitness center. Get to know other residents with monthly social activities and a comfortable community room.
This pet-friendly community allows up to two pets with weight restrictions. Rent is under $700 for one-bedroom senior apartments with affordable $815 monthly rent for two-bedroom units.
- Amenities: Pet-friendly, community room, outdoor patio, library, hair salon, fitness center, computer lab, off-street parking, laundry on each floor, scheduled monthly social activities
- Housing options: Affordable one- and two-bedroom apartments with rent between $695 and $815
- Darby House, 1400 Shirleydale Ave, Richmond, VA 23231
Westminster Canterbury Richmond | Award-Winning Senior Living at One of the Best Retirement Communities in Richmond, VA
At Westminster Canterbury Richmond, you can Live Life Well in one of the top award-winning senior communities in Richmond, VA. Located on landscaped 60-acre grounds, the community offers world-class amenities and services to help you enjoy the retirement lifestyle you’re looking for.
This Continuing Care Retirement Community or Life Care community gives you peace of mind knowing you will receive the care you need if your health changes later. You can plan for your own future and protect yourself from rising healthcare costs and nursing care. You are also protected if you outlive your assets and guaranteed a place to stay and quality care.
View this post on Instagram
Westminster Canterbury Richmond is one of Richmond’s best active adult communities with an exciting activity calendar ranging from wellness classes, art classes, and theater productions to excursions to shopping and cultural attractions.
There are many maintenance-free residences to choose from including apartments, free-standing homes, and assisted living residences.
- Amenities: Independent living apartments and free-standing homes, assisted living, memory care, housekeeping, maintenance-free living, scheduled transportation and planned outings & calendar of recreational and social activities
- Housing options: Tower, Courtyard & Garden apartments, free-standing Homes on the Green and Glebe Homes with up to four bedrooms, and assisted living residences
- Westminster Canterbury Richmond, 1600 Westbrook Ave, Richmond, VA 23227
The Virginian | Luxury 55 Plus Community in Richmond with a Travel & Stay Program
The Virginian is a Holiday Retirement Community offering independent senior living in style. This award-winning 55+ retirement community offers a quiet, wooded retreat close to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, Chesterfield Towne Center, and two major hospitals.
The Virginian offers excellent amenities for active adults including a billiard lounge, landscaped grounds, a fitness center, game room, on-site beauty salon, and more. Stay active with a packed calendar of fun activities and complimentary, scheduled transportation. Spend more time doing the things you want with weekly housekeeping, chef-prepared meals, and no maintenance at all!
As a Holiday Retirement Community, you can take advantage of the Travel and Stay program with complimentary stays at more than 200 communities in 43 states for up to one week. During your stays, you’ll have your own apartment and the same benefits as home!
If your needs change while living at The Virginian, you can opt for a la carte care from a third-party health care provider, many with offices right inside the community.
- Amenities: Pet friendly, housekeeping, calendar of social activities and recreation, beauty salon, community grounds, computer room, game room, activity room, fitness center & billiard lounge
- Housing options: Studio, one, and two bedroom independent living apartments & one- and two-bedroom cottages
- The Virginian, 300 Twinridge Ln, Richmond, VA 23235
Villas at Iron Mill | One of the Most Exciting New Home 55 and Over Communities in Richmond, VA with Great Amenities
Do you want to enjoy the benefits of homeownership, a private yard, and plenty of space but want to skip the yard work? Villas at Iron Will is one of the most anticipated 55 plus communities in Richmond, VA. Located in the nearby suburb of Chester, this Stylecraft Homes community has it all: single-family homes designed specifically for active adults, great community amenities, and an ideal location.
Enjoy your own private yard without the difficult yard work with the maintenance and lawn care handled for you. When you aren’t relaxing at home or exploring nearby shopping and entertainment, visit the clubhouse to take a dip in the community pool or stroll along the private walking trails.
- Amenities: Age restricted community, first-floor living homes, community clubhouse with a pool and fitness center, walking paths
- Housing options: 2-3 bedroom single-story homes for sale
- Villas at Iron Mill, 5400 Bradenton Dr, Chester, VA 23831
Britlyn | Single-Story Homes and No Yard Work in One of the Best Richmond, VA 55+ Communities
Are you looking for an age-restricted community but want to own your own home with privacy and space? Britlyn is one of the best 55+ communities in the Richmond, VA area. This new home community from Ryan Homes is located in Glen Allen, a gorgeous Richmond suburb close to Willow Lawn shopping center, Short Pump Town Center, and three major highways.
There are five floor plans to choose from starting at $430,000. All Craftsman-style ranch homes were designed for active adults:
- First-floor living
- Two-story options with a first-floor owner’s suite and a second-floor guest room and bonus room space
- Open floor plans
- Two car garages
- Covered front entry
- Covered porches
- Professional landscaping and no yard work
- Community garden with a communal fire pit and picnic area
- No through traffic
If you’re considering 55 plus homes for sale in Richmond, VA, Britlyn currently has a VIP wait list with a new section that will be coming soon!
- Amenities: Age-restricted community, first-floor living homes, community garden, community picnic area and fire pit
- Housing options: New homes for sale starting at $430,000
- Britlyn by Ryan Homes, 3628 Gracie Lane, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Map of 55+ Communities in Richmond, VA
Does one of these exciting over 55 retirement villages sound like the perfect place to enjoy retirement to its fullest? Once you’ve settled on the right community, call the dependable Richmond movers to discuss your move. We offer affordable, full-service senior moving that will have you set up in your new home in no time!